I'm a UX person, data enthusiast, and developer based in Toronto. I love board games, The Atlantic, classic horror films, and Heroes of the Storm deep cuts. I do not love IPAs.
Research: User interviews, contextual inquiry, usability testing, persona development, expert evaluation, information architecture
Design & Tools: Interaction design, wireframing, prototyping, UXPin, Balsamiq, Proto.io, Adobe Xd, Marvel
Data: Machine learning, pandas, Excel, Octave
2017 to presentUser Experience Designer & Co-founder
- Providing consulting in UX research and design. Working with organizations to understand and define their project goals, learn about their users, and then design, prototype, and test solutions.
- Services include user interviews, persona development, user flows and journeys, usability testing, rapid prototyping, expert evaluation, as well as wireframing and design.
2012 to 2016Software Developer & UX Designer
- Developed three virtual reality simulations to study the street crossing and pedestrian behaviour of children.
- Created analytics from real-time data to assess performance in a number of scenarios, contributing to academic publication.
- Wrote and maintained technical documentation, including system design documents, reference, research reports, and data codebooks.
- Improved the UX of the simulations by researching and implementing virtual reality design improvements in areas such as comfortable viewing distances, motion sickness, responsiveness, and cue conflict, after the project transitioned to a new VR technology (the Oculus Rift).
- These improvements contributed to a significantly improved participant completion rate (close to 100%).
- Technologies: Python, C#, Visual Basic, Trello, Subversion, Vizard, Oculus Rift
2013 to 2017Full Stack Web Designer
- Designed and developed responsive website updates for businesses.
- Developed Django-based web applications.
Apr-Oct 2011Software Developer
- Developed an application to interface with the University of Guelph's DRIVE Lab simulator, providing real time updates to a dash-mounted display, showing metrics such as the driver's following distance.
- The research data collected from this application contributed to a PhD dissertation.
- Technologies: Tcl, Java
Jan-Dec 2010UX Researcher
- Identified user needs, goals, and design insights as part of the User Experience team, focusing primarily on mobile media apps such as YouTube, Podcasts, Music, and Radio.
- Gathered and synthesized user research data for multidisciplinary project teams to improve usability and user satisfaction, as well as test new app features with customers.
- Employed a wide range of user research methods, such as user interviews, usability testing, focus groups, expert evaluation, card sorting, and prototyping.
- Researched and authored extensive internal reports on augmented reality and the state-of-the-art in handheld user interfaces.
2014MSc. Computer Science
Specialization in Human-Computer Interaction. Coursework also included neural networks, genetic algorithms, and multi-agent systems. My thesis examined the effects of personality traits on code inspection performance.
2009Bachelor of Computing
Computer Science focus, with a minor in Business Administration.
Morrongiello, B.A., Corbett, M., Switzer, J., & Hall, T. (2015). Using a virtual environment to study pedestrian behaviors: How does time pressure affect children and adults crossing streets? Journal of Pediatric Psychology.
Corbett, M., Morrongiello, B.A, Vierich, R., Beer, J. & Hall, T. (Dec, 2012). Using a virtual reality pedestrian simulator to study child pedestrian injury risk behaviour. Presented at the 18th ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology.